Thursday, February 18, 2010

The headlights on my car have become very dull and frosty what can I do to make them crystal clear again?

I would like to do it myselfThe headlights on my car have become very dull and frosty what can I do to make them crystal clear again?
I've had that same problem, here's what I would suggest %26amp; what I did that worked pretty well.





I took some sandpaper to hand sand them first to take off the top, rough coating of plastic that has broken down from UV rays, sand, etc.... Start off with 100 grit sandpaper to get the hard rough stuff off and get down to the stable plastic underneath and then work your way to 200, 400, then 800 sandpaper (I used sandpaper that was able to be used with water to wetsand it the last little bit) then you can use some good plastic polishes to finish it off.





It worked very well, but was not as good as original as the plastic is affected by the UV rays all the way through, but a significant improvement was made, though it began to deteriorate again after a year or so, so you may want to touch it up every year or so before it gets too bad again.





Best of luck.The headlights on my car have become very dull and frosty what can I do to make them crystal clear again?
Hi,





please use the product named 'Meguiars PlatX Clear plastic cleaner and polish'
Not much except getting new lenses. You can try polishing them with car wax or compounding them,but it's not much of an improvement.
You can use a cloth buffing wheel and some white jewelers rouge ( This is the finest grade) buff out the lens with this, it should clear them up.





There is another product I've seen on TV called Flitz. I have never tried this before so I can't say for sure that it works.
It depends entirely on the type of headlight: sealed beam, halogen, gas discharge, and any of several variations on these. You will need to identify the type, and then someone can come up with a rational answer.
go to advance or auto zone and get a mild buffing compound to use on them it will remove the haze and make then shine like new,it may be necessary to do this every few months though,to keep them looking good,ask any person who works at a parts store and they will know what your talking about,good luck on it.
Assuming that you have an older car with bulbs that mount in a headlight fixture you can do one of the following:





1) Replace the headlight fixture. If you choose this option you should look for a quality aftermarket product that is original equipment (OEM) compatible so that installing it is easiest and less expensive than buying from a dealer.








Hope this helps


2) There products that you can use to polish a headlight fixture that is dull and clouded due to exposure to UV from sunlight. Personally I've never tried any of them and don't know how well they work. You should be able to find something at a local auto parts store.
Change the bulb.
Wynn's makes a kit that polishes the plastic lenses and makes them look almost new again. I think cost of kit is around $35.00. Other companies might make them also.
  • cute hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment