Thursday, February 18, 2010

Is it okay to clear coat my car headlights?

So some jerk splashed some white stuff on my headlights while it was parked at school and it couldn't come off. I resorted to sanding it off and was planning to use a scratch remover to restore the headlight. However i think the cloudy look of the headlight looks nice with my white paintjob and i want to keep it. Is it okay to clearcoat the headlights? what kind of clearcoat is okay? can i use the spray paint type?Is it okay to clear coat my car headlights?
Automotive clear is ok in my book to use on your head light, reason being clear coat will be able to withstand hot temps 1 and 2 it shouldn't block all of your lighting while driving , i actually use clear coat auto sprays in pressurized cans on my emergency lighting on my light bar that i use for the fire dept. it actually does work very well to seal and as i have previously stated it will take the heat! Also are you able to get good adequate lighting from the headlights! from the cloudy look?





MarkIs it okay to clear coat my car headlights?
Do not clearcoat your headlights. The plastic may be affected and become weaker- it must be tough and resistant to road dirt, small rocks, bugs and stuff. Clear coat is delicate, and will show wear .





I've polished headlight lenses with Brasso and got them crystal clear. The scratch remover kit will do the job, will cost more and be just as much, if not more work.





The cloudy look may be cute, but don't give the cops anything to hassle you for. Fixit tickets are not free anymore.
have you lost any light from the lenses not being clear? i suppose you could put a clear on them, but adhesion may be an issue. anything sticky will stick, for a while.. i wouldn't mind seeing what youre talking about, but i think i'd polish them out clear again.

No comments:

Post a Comment