Thursday, February 11, 2010

Making my headlight casing clear again?

the glass/plastic headlight casing on my 99' Ford Contour has gotten real hazy and dull. How do I make it clear again without buying a whole new casing for each side which would run me close to $500?Making my headlight casing clear again?
My dad did this to our van a while ago. He took Brake Fluid and rubbed it on the headlight casing. It sounds crazy, but it works.Making my headlight casing clear again?
I used toothpaste on the lenses of an early 90's car in Florida. Cheap and it worked.
this is only a suggestion. if you drill a small hole, as small as possible it will let the moisture dissipate. what you have is a faulty seal in the casing and let moisture in but won't let it escape. a tiny hole will be a short term solution and won't hurt anything but in the long run. you will have to get a new light.
you can try going to a hardware store and get a buffing wheel that goes on a drill. i bought mine from sears and it comes with compound. you can buff it that way. if it is pitted or cracked bad it probably won't make a difference.
Use a product like LensRenew or similar, available at most auto parts stores. It will remove the haze and yellowing.





http://www.lensrenew.com/
I use Rain-X on all my cars with plastic headlights. It will take that hazy fog off the lens. Stay away from brake fluid, it will destroy any paint it touches!

No comments:

Post a Comment