Thursday, February 11, 2010

How do I get my headlight covers clear again?

The headlight covers are foggy looken from age I guess. Is there anything out there to use to make them look like new again with out buying new ones?How do I get my headlight covers clear again?
the fog is on the outside of the lens believe it or not.car lots do this. sand outside of lens with 800 grit sand paper until all covered then wipe with dry rag follow with 1200 or 1500 grit sand paper in same manner wipe with dry rag. then hand rub with a rubbing compound and wah-la clear and spotless as if right off the lot. check your auto parts store some have a kit with everything listed here for thisHow do I get my headlight covers clear again?
Thank you Trevor s for your help. High-Five~


I come to really enjoy this program that Yahoo has came up with. My friend will be very happy to hear my results I found for her.





Thanks to all who answered my question.:)

Report Abuse



take a rag and put brake fluid on it then polish the lenses. only the plastic!
Plexiglass that has become foggy looking is often caused by mini-scratches, swirl marks. Try lemon pledge, it's cheaper than other products and might just do the trick. Spray on and buff.
I've seen on diy places you can remove the head light and put it in a toaster oven for a few min and then the glue holding it together will melt so you can pull it apart to clean then reheat and stick back together
If you mean your headlight casings, then it's probably the inside. You can bring them to a headlight technician so he can take them apart and clean the inside, or you can try taking the casings apart yourself by using a heat gun to melt the sealer, and then sealing them back together yourself once you're done cleaning them. I recommend the headlight technician though, seeing as they can warrantee them not fogging up again. Don't buy replacement headlights because they're expensive.
This is a tried and proven way to clear the yellowing or fogging of headlights.





1. Wet sand (water and sandpaper) with 1500-2000 grit sandpaper.





2. Apply a good quality name brand polishing compound.





3. Buff out the minute scratches you applied wet sanding with a terry towel. (Takes around 30-45 minutes a headlight or 5-10 minutes with a power buffer)





4. Stand back and admire your work and the money you just saved doing the work yourself.





Most auto parts stores sell a polishing kit exactly for this problem. But if you buy the pieces separate then you'll probably save more money in the long run.





Good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment